When our client first approached us, they had already experimented with a similar solution for ICT integrators. In that process it became clear that the solution could work for a much broader market segment. They asked us to finetune their value proposition and design a new software platform. So that’s where we began.
We needed to keep the budget under control, so instead of developing a fully-fletched platform from the start, we convinced our client to make a prototype first. That would give them the opportunity to validate and improve the idea before going the whole nine yards. We designed a clickable interface to be used as a demo and, given half a chance, as a boilerplate for future implementations. We also came up with a fresh new name, a fantastic logo, a compelling brand narrative and a complete design system.
Think it through
We started by exploring what the impact of the project on the overall business model would be. We soon discovered that the the idea needed its own proposition in order to grow. As a consequence, the scope of our project changed from merely designing an interface to defining a new brand first.
A new identity
We decided the new brand needed to be both distinctive and descriptive. At the same time the name had to reflect the company’s international ambition. We came up with Guardway, a wordplay on guard and gateway. By using storyboards and style tiles we designed a fantastic new logo and corresponding design system.
Workflows and story map
To understand our future users and their jobs, we mapped the user roles and workflows in two collaborative workshops. With this information, we created a story map that we enriched with our client’s requirements and feature requests.
We translated everything into a backlog with more than 150 user stories. We kick-started development by implementing a scrum-based development approach with backlog grooming meetings, daily stand-up meetings and weekly reviews.
Research and sketching
Based on the user stories, we created screen flows to map the stories to the screens that needed to be designed. We explored various interaction concepts and patterns. By applying these patterns to the screens we identified, we got a first impression of how the interface could work and what it could look like.
A compelling sales demo
Because we needed our prototype to serve as a demo, we wrote a scenario that allowed us tell a compelling sales story without having to design each and every screen in full detail. We only designed the screens we actually needed and put them in a slide deck that is being used at this very moment to convince potential customers and learn from their feedback.